cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor error message

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting too many messages like the one below.

2004 Mar 15 07:28:14 %SYS-4-SUPERVISOR_ERR:Forwarding engine IPX length error counter = 42176

>> Either for IP or IPX

By Cisco Web site the message can be ignored. But I had already problems with the dual SUP2 on my SW6509 at the same time.

Have you experienced a large amount of messages like that? Is ther any way to fix it? What is causing the messages?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

The error "%SYS-4-SUPERVISOR_ERR:Forwarding engine IPX length error counter = 42176" on your switch console means the forwarding switch engine dropping the packets because of received IPX packet doen't meet the min length requirement of allowable IPX packet. Here, the switch doing good thing because even if it forwards to destination, it finally drops it. But only cautious thing if you are getting too many messages is, to check from which source these packets are coming. We can observe them by using like "sniffer" tool on each of ingress switch ports one by one.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

The error "%SYS-4-SUPERVISOR_ERR:Forwarding engine IPX length error counter = 42176" on your switch console means the forwarding switch engine dropping the packets because of received IPX packet doen't meet the min length requirement of allowable IPX packet. Here, the switch doing good thing because even if it forwards to destination, it finally drops it. But only cautious thing if you are getting too many messages is, to check from which source these packets are coming. We can observe them by using like "sniffer" tool on each of ingress switch ports one by one.