Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Support for 50/125 FO on PA-A3-OC3MM

Somebody knows about support for 50/125 fiber optic on Cisco 7206VXR with PA-A3-OC3MM?

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Support for 50/125 FO on PA-A3-OC3MM

I don't know if Cisco has an official position on this, but I can give you my opinion from a fiber optic engineering perspective.

It will probably work, but you should assume a reduced optical power budget (around 5.5dB) relative to the one for 62.5/125 multimode (which is 9dB).

This is because the minimum transmit power figure will likely be a couple of dBm lower for the 50/125 than it is for 62.5/125 fiber. That's the way it is on Cisco's 100BASE-FX MMF interfaces, which are the closest match. Maximum transmit power figure stays the same for the OC-3MM interface, -14dBm. You can rationalize the decrease in min. TX power by picturing what's happening as the light leaves the interface: cross-sectional surface area of the 50/125 fiber core is reduced to 64% of what's available in 62.5/125, so some of the light is possibly just not making it into the launch aperture. But there's still enough going in to get a usable signal out the other end. But how far?

The reduced power at launch may be offset somewhat by the higher quality and slightly better attenuation-per-km characteristics of the 50/125 fiber at 1310nm wavelength. You may even be able to make it all the way out to 2km, I just never ran the calculations to check that; never needed to. I rarely encounter 50/125 here: it's either 62.5/125 multimode, or else single mode fiber, for most of my work.

How far were you planning on going over multimode? 2km is the supported limit for 62.5/125. You can probably do at least 1km with 50/125. If it's just the length of a long multimode patch cable in a server room, wiring closet, or distribution frame, you most likely have nothing to worry about there.

Hope that helps.

Re: Support for 50/125 FO on PA-A3-OC3MM

The distance involved is 10 meters, this will represent a problem?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content