Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SVI doesnt show up in CLI

OK I am confused. I have never seen the SVI(switch virtual interface)show up in the command line when doing a show run. I started to use Cisco Network Assistant and noticed that SVI is enabled on all of my devices(3550's). It is not called SVI it is enable routed under device properties, ip addresses. So in essence all my vlans can route to each other when I have tried to keep it a layer 2 network with multiple vlans so that they stay seperate. Is this a flaw?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: SVI doesnt show up in CLI

To check your SVI status use show interface vlan "id" command isntead os show run, since the last just show the configuration.

If you have more than one layer 2 VLANs you can't communicate between VLANS. To do this you need L3 VLAN interface for all VLANS from you want to transfer data.

Example:

VLAN 10 - L3 - IP address is assigned to VLAN interface

VLAN 20 - L3 - IP address is assigned to VLAN interface

VLAN 30 - L2

In this case users on VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 (thye have default GW)can communicate with each other, but they can't commincate with users on VLAN30.

To keep your VLAN up up state firstly you should assign at least one interface to the VLAN and no shutdown the VLAN interface.

If you need more help just write...

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Re: SVI doesnt show up in CLI

I guess I didn't give the whole story. I give all my VLANs IP addresses so that I can access the switch on all LANs. I guess that means I am using L3 VLANs but I treat them as L2 because I have networks that can not talk to each other and I didn't want to write a bunch of ACLs and route.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content