cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Swapping two 3600-series routers

mromer
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3662 being used as an H.323 gateway for our Cisco CallManager phone system. We also have a 3640 serving as a gateway for several private networks.

Is there any reason I should not be able to swich the two boxes and have the 3640 serve as the voice gateway? Does the 3662 have any capability that the 3640 doesn't?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Do a show ver on each router and see the difference in processors and speed. It is dramatic. I would not move the delay sensitive voice processing to a slower box.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

366x has more horsepower compared to 3640

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Can you give me any idea what the difference is (% throughput, or something like that)?

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..3660 has 6 slots for different modules while 2640 has 4 slots. so in 3660 you can have two more hardware modules for different services.

Do a show ver on each router and see the difference in processors and speed. It is dramatic. I would not move the delay sensitive voice processing to a slower box.

Yoiks! I see what you mean. I didn't realize the different 36xx boxes had different processor capabilities--I thought the only difference was in the number of slots. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: