Views
Helpful
Replies

switch cabling question

mpalmer124
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is probably an easy question but can I connect both cat6\cat5e and possibly fibre cabling to switches on a network?

I will be grateful for any information received,

Mark Palmer.

7 Replies 7

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, you can.

Each port / cable is considered a separate physical entity.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

If I use cat6 for backbone, ca5e for horizontal cabling and one single optic cable for connection over 100m is there a specific switch which can be used for this requirement?

Mark P.

Any combination of Cat5/5e/6 would be acceptable and functional (given that it's applicable to the application, and it's properly terminated).

As mentioned, which switch you choose will depend mostly on number of users and the need for advanced capability.

A 3750 series would work for just about anything, and it's a fairly recent series (won't be end-of-sale/life/support) for a long time. It's also stackable (uses Cisco's new stacking bus ... excellent performance).

At the lower end, you could do an old 2900 / 3500 to feed the copper, and add a copper/fiber media converter to drive your long run.

Like most other things in networking, there's a jillion ways to accomplish a given goal ... if you could provide details (number of users, what type of fiber (single mode, multi-mode), performance requirements, VLAN needs, multicast possibilities, etc etc etc ....) then maybe we could narrow it down to a few million ;-} )

Cisco has a pretty nice series toward the low end - the "E500" switches are pretty new, easily configured, come with pre-defined roles and QOS prifiles - POE or Not - Fiber /copper, just copper ... and reasonably priced (24 Port 10/100 + 2 GigE copper ~US$500.00).

Good Luck

Scott

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, You can connect. All of these media are supported on cisco switches. You all the 1000 base X and CWDM and DWDM modules are supported.

Is there any special requirements that you are looking for ?

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your quick reply I am aiming to use cat6 for backbone and cat5e for horizontal cabling and one optic cable line for a connection over 100m. Would you rate any specific cisco switch\model for this requirement?

Mark P.

Mark,

We have a whole range of cisco switches which can meet your requirement. It all depends on the number users, port requirement and connectivity required.

Here is the link for all the cisco switching range.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/index.html

Please go through the data sheets and let me know if you have specific questions and you need my help in desiging the solution for you.

HTH, please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

There are approx 90users on a cat6 backbone, cat5e horizontal cabling and one fibre link for a connection >100m. Normal windows\office apps and possible graphics apps on some pc's.

The line is T1\T2 can you possibly suggest a router as new one maybe required?

Mark P.