Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch OS'...why so many?

I have a 3 part question. Why are there multiple OS' used in cisco switches (ie catOS, IOS, CLI)? Is there a plan to have all switches on the same OS type ? Lastly, is there a whitepaper outlining which switches use what OS type? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Switch OS'...why so many?

As our products have evolved, they are inclining more towards IOS. CAT4000 and 6000 used to be CAT OS only before, but now you can run native IOS on the 6500 and we have Sup3 for 4000 which runs IOS. Customers have a choice of CAT OS or native depending on their level of comfort in each and features needed.

The 3550/2950 run IOS as well. Same goes for 2948G-L3 and 4908G-L3 as well. CAT5k family will be the only switch which is CAT OS only. I dont think there is any white paper listing all this

Thank you very much for your time and the information:-)

It reflects three switch companies cisco purchased. Obviously each company featured it's own CLI. I guess I should also mention that cisco also developed its own L2 solution(2924, 35xx) which is based on its familiar IOS. I greatly prefer the CatOS(Crescendo) but it looks like everything is going toward IOS look and feel.

kevin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content