cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port not forwarding

mwhitt
Level 1
Level 1

I have assigned a VLAN to a switch port and the server cannot ping anything past it's own NIC. Any suggestions?

5 Replies 5

Hello,

are you saying that your server cannot even ping any other machine in the same VLAN ? Can you post the configurations of your switch and your Layer 3 (if you have inter-VLAN routing configured as well) ?

Slight chance that your server is stuck with an old route in its routing table, you might want to issue the command:

route -f

to flush the internal routing table of your server.

Regards,

Georg

Once I removed the dual NICs from the server, I am able to see part of my network. I am still having trouble seeing the DNS. Another computer on the same VLAN in the same switch can see the DNS fine. Here are my configs. Any help is appreciated.

sidhupal
Level 1
Level 1

First determine if this is a Layer 1,2 or 3 issue. Then focus on that Layer to troubleshoot. I.e check to see errors on that port to see if this a Layer 1 issue, then do "sh cdp neighbor" to see if the access switch can see the gateway, and so on.....try to gather as much info as possible...then troubleshoot.

joserosa
Level 1
Level 1

Doa route print and make sure that you don't have 2 default routes on your server inherited from your dual NIC setup.

Also make sure your network settings on the problem server are similar to the settings on the computer that is working fine. You might have some old DNS stuff floating around.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: