cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch settings for adapter teaming.

msorensen54
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Intel Pro 1000 MT nic in my server that is set up as an adaptive load balancing team. Do I need to do any config on my 2950 Catalyst (version 12.1.20) to make use of this feature? How about if it was moved to a 3550 with the same IOS version?

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

From Intel's description of ALB:

# Intel's Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) ?also known as asymmetric port aggregation?is a method of ensuring consistent high server throughput and transparent backup connections by using multiple network interface cards and balancing the data transmissions across them. As many as four Intel? server adapters, connected to a switch, can be configured to work together as a "team" for an aggregate throughput of up to 400 Mbps with Fast Ethernet adapters or 8 Gbps with Gigabit Ethernet Adapters.

# Cisco's Fast EtherChannel* (FEC) and Gigabit EtherChannel (GEC) similarly provides fault tolerance and load balancing across multiple adapters, with one difference ? through the addition of an FEC or GEC-enabled switch, traffic loads are balanced in both directions, boosting throughput for data from and to the server (instead of just from the server), enabling bandwidth to scale up to 800 Mbps with 4 Fast Ethernet adapters or 4 Gbps with 4 Gigabit Ethernet adapters.

That sounds to me like a FEC or GEC on Cisco, if my understanding is corerct then you need to configured channeling on the ports of the 2950 that connects to the Intel's ALB NICs. you will do the same to teh other cisco switches should you decide to move the connection.

Cisco channeling configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea7/scg/swethchl.htm

Please rate helpful posts.

I tried setting up EtherChannel in the auto mode but it wouldn't connect. I then plugged it in without any special programming and it seems to work fine. Somehow that seems too easy.

uhmmmm, that's because auto-mode is a passive state, it will wait for PaGP from teh other end. I doubt very much that Intel's NIC talk PaGP. that link I sent earlier talks about different modes: auto, desirable and on.

Please rate helpful posts.