Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

switch to switch speed

I have a 4006 switch connected to several 3500xl switches, each with 1 Gbps. When i do a ping from 4006 console to a 3500XL the round trip delay is often 32 ms. Is this normal..??

Thanks, Richard

3 REPLIES

Re: switch to switch speed

No that does seem a bit on the high side. I have a Cat5500 with two 100mb fibers connecting to a 2900XL and I get response times of <10ms at the most. How are they connected exactly, is it just one hop to the switch?

Daniel,

Pinging CISCO devices is not a good measure of response times, as we give lower priority to ICMP ping packets. For example, if the CPU has to process a BPDU packet, it would process it ahead of ICMP ping packet. Try to ping from devices through the cisco switches (pc to pc for example) and see if the response time is any different. User traffic is most devices are switched in hardware so this cpu response time doesn't really matter for user traffic. hope this helps ;)

switch console to console ping time is relatively menaingless, for reason mentioned above. Try running a program which actually measures throughput like iPerf. You should be able to get 91-93 mb/s between a pair of FE-connected hosts, through any reasonable number of switches. If you can't, THEN you have a problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content