Cisco Support Community
Community Member

switch vlan.dat file

Dear all

the lan environment is about 2xx switch, and with more than 500 Vlan.

HOwever , some of the switch is 2950, however, i doesn't obtain the full vlan.dat file before it change to transparent mode.

do i simply tftp the vlan.dat file from 3550 or other high end switch onto 2950 switch in order to obtain the full vlan information?

Re: switch vlan.dat file

Could you try by changing your vtp domain name to something different to what it is currently ? Then, set it back to the original VTP domain name .. That should change the revision number back to zero so that you can learn all the VLANs...

Hope that helps,

Community Member

set it back to the original VTP domain name is not will force to transparent mode immediately.

the issue as I understand it is, the 2950 switches its VTP mode from server or client to transparent and when it does this not all 500 vlans is in the 2950's vlan database, correct? This is because the 2950 depending on whether the image is standard or enhanced. Catalyst 2950 switches that run the standard software image (SI) support 64 VLANs; Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 switches that run the enhanced software image (EI) 250 VLANs. So, this is why the VTP mode changes from server or client to transparent. This should not create an issue since most likely the 2950 does not realy need all 500 vlans in it's database.

CreatePlease to create content