cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch VLAN 'management' command no longer supported?

SteveGodfrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Does anyone know why the Management command no longers exists or what it's been replaced with? The vast majority of our switches (mainly 2900XL & 2950) are running 12.0(5)WC7 and I've been using the management command to change the management VLAN.

I tried to make the same change on a 2950 running 12.1(13) and the management command is no longer supported.

The problem I now face is changing the IP address and VLAN of the switch, you can only have a single VLAN active at any one time so the active VLAN has to be shutdown before the new VLAN can be enabled other than consoling into the switch how else can I change the IP without getting locked out?

Thanks

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The management keyword is not supported on the 2950's anymore. You'll need to shutdown all other VLAN interfaces other than your management. You should be able to get telnet back to the new IP address after you loose connectivity when you shut down the old management interface.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The management keyword is not supported on the 2950's anymore. You'll need to shutdown all other VLAN interfaces other than your management. You should be able to get telnet back to the new IP address after you loose connectivity when you shut down the old management interface.

That did the trick, in fact all I did was configure the new VLAN with an IP address then did a noshut.

Thanks

Steve