Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching from AC PSU to DC PSU on 7206VXR

ns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have some 720&VXR routers that are using AC PSUs. We want to change from the AC PSUs to DC PSUs without powering off the routers. I have read in the documentation that you have to power off the routers in order to change from AC to DC power, but I have learned that you can't trust all that is written in the Cisco documentation. The warning in the documentation says basically, that Cisco will not be responsable for any damage caused by not following the warning, fair enough. But try to convince our management otherwise... Anyway, does anyone have any experience in changing from AC to DC without powering off the routers?

Thanks,

Niels

2 Replies 2

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think that would be possible at all. You will HAVE to power OFF the router to change the PSU types. Think. How will you do this? How many AC power supplies do you have? Even if you have 2 AC PSUs, you CANNOT remove one and put a DC, while the other AC is running..because...

See the WARNING: Caution: Do not mix AC- and DC- input power supplies in the same router.

I strongly recommend you follow the instructions given in the Cisco Documentation for changing the Power supplies.

See here for more information on changing the Power Supply Units:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_installation_guide09186a00800def6f.html#xtocid0

Thanks for the answer. I'm not the one that has to be convinced, it my manager who thinks it is possible. I have already advised him that it is not possible/advisable.

But thanks again.

Niels

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: