cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching problem

tsmarcyes
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites that I'm trying to connect. One site has a 3550G and the other has a 2950. My 3550 got wiped so I had to use a new one. Im didnt thave the config saved and therefore building the new 3550G config from scratch. On the port on the 3550 that goes to my other site with the 2950, it is configured as followed:

interface GigabitEthernet0/10

switchport access vlan 60

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

end

The Port on the 2950 at the other site is configured:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport trunk native vlan 60

switchport trunk allowed vlan 60,1002-1005

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

Both sites have green lights on their ports, both show a status of up,up when you do a show int. I have tried changing the ports back and forth between trunk ports, both ports configured as "switchport mode access" with just VLAN 60, using just "switchport access VLan 60" on both. None of the solutions work. If my configuration is wrong, then can someone please give me a step by step on how to configure the two ports. Like I said, there is only one VLAN on the 2950. So in reality, it shouldnt even need trunking between the 2950 and the 3550, but I have tried just making them both "switchport access vlan 60", "switchport access mode" which I come to understand you use when you dont need trunking, and it still doesnt work.

15 Replies 15

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check to see if you ever created the layer 2 vlan . Do a show vlan on both switches , if vlan 60 doesn't showup and active then it was never created . If not created then just do the following on both boxes.

conf t

vlan 60 , enter

check by doing a "show vlan" , do this for both sides.

yea, both of them are there

if there were a physical problem, then I wouldnt be getting a green light, plus a status of up, up correct?

Hello,

wether you want the ports to be access or trunk ports, the configuration must be the same on both sides. So, either one of the configs below should work:

switchport mode access

no ip address

end

switchport mode access

no ip address

or

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

end

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

Can you try and see if you get it working with these configuration examples ?

Regards,

GP

I've tried both of those solutions. It doesnt work either way. It seems to me like it must be a physical problem, but again would the port lights be green and have a status of up,up if it was a physical problem.

I didn't see you setting the native vlan for the 3550 in your first config which would mean it was native 60 on the 2950 but would be vlan 1 native on the 3550 . try adding the native vlan 60 command on the 3550 . If you have link lights on both ends you should be ok link wise . Also I have seen where both ends must have the same vtp domain name to have the trunk come up even running transparent mode. Check this also .

Ok, I'll try that. What about STP though. Do you think that could be a cause of my problem?

Across a single link spanning tree is really irrelevant. If you have built in loops then it makes a difference . Spanning tree just kind of takes care of itself.

Hello,

what kind of cable are you using ?

Regards,

GP

I'm using multimode fiber.

Well, Im stuck. I have physically tried switching ports on both sides, one at a time and both at the same time. I have tried trunk configurations, trunk configurations with native vlans, access mode configurations, and no configurations. I have tried setting both the VTP domain names to the same. I have deleted and recreated the vlan to see if that was the problem. Both ports show green lights, both show up, up, and dont show errors or anything. I dont know what else to try.

Hello,

I tend to think the problem might be your cable. Which connectors are you using on both sides (GBIC, MT-RJ) ?

Regards,

GP

update....

After some more time of trying to reconfigure the ports, the ports sunddely went down. The lights went off, and the sh interface went to down,down. I then used a different module, but plugged it into the same port. This time it came up orange and stayed orange. On the console, it gave me this message "gbic eeprom data check sum failed for GBIC interface" "gbic-invalid error detected on gi0/10, putting Gi0/10 in err-disable state" No matter what configuration I had, the interface stayed as down, down (err-disable). So, I then plugged the same module into a different port 0/7, and with a little configuration it worked just fine. Now, dont think that I didnt do this troubleshooting step of trying another port because I did. I had been switching between 0/8 and 0/10. Neither one worked. Whats funny is now, if I take the module that is in port 0/7 right now and working, plug it into port 0/8 or 0/10, i get the orange light and I get the "err-disable" line. So, now my problem is how to fix this "gbic invalid error, putting port into err-disable stat" so I can use ports 0/8 and 0/10 for future use.

You can have have problems if the gbics are not made or authorized by cisco . Second party suppliers may not work in the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: