Views
Helpful
Replies

switchs\routers

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

if i have 2 distribution switch conected to each other via Etherchanel(SX\LX Distance up to 700M)and 2 routers each one its connected to each distribution via gig over fiber(SX Distance 500M)and the 2 routers For gateway redundancy.the question is the 2 distribution switch MUST Be runing L2 or L3 ; the 2 switchs is responsible to route between the vlans or the routers must route between Vlan and also act as HSRP?

10xs for ur reply!

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ali,

For intervlan routing you can use your distribution switch and you can also run HSRP on distribution switch for gateway redundancy.

On same side you can configure HSRP on lan interface of routers for gateway redundancy from distribution switches and incase you have intrenet lines terminating on routers you can configure interface tracking for your serial interfaces on routers.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi ankur;

10xs for ur reply.but in my situation as i mention in my post.what is the best setup.PS Advise

10xs

Ali

hi Ankur

what do u mean by"y can configure HSRP on lan interface of routers for gateway redundancy from distribution switches

10xs

Hi Friend,

You have 2 situations here, you want HSRP both at distribution and at gateway routers for high availability . If you configure HSRP only at distribution layer then it will work only for the access layer switches and the end user. In case if one of the switch gets fail the other one will forward the intervlan traffic for your users.

Ankur mentioned in his earlier post to have HSRP at the gateway routers also so that both the routers can be used as an active and standby for eachother. In this case it also more depends on the kind of WAN setup you have for the routers. are these routers are used for internet connectivity or to connect to other side.If you can put some more light on this then we will be able to explain it in more details.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

10xs amit; 10xs Ankur!

the 2 routers connect to our H.Q.(H.Q FULL Hub & spoke).also i need to configure redundancy linke to my (H.Q)