Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

syslog - acl question

We just put up a new router with a new IOS and noticed the following syslog message:

%SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGRL: access-list logging rate-limited or missed 2 packets

Below is the explaination from Cisco:

Error Message

%SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGRL

: access-list logging rate-limited or missed [dec] packet[chars]

Explanation Some packet matching logs were missed because the access list log messages were rate-limited or no access list log buffers were available.

Recommended Action No action is required.

We are only logging ACL entries that are denied. Since some packets are being "missed" I'm concerned that I may be missing some important information that could be helpful for security issues. Is this in fact the case, and if so how do I stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

-js

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: syslog - acl question

If you are concerned that you are missing some log messages, you can make the router log messages more frequently by using the ip access-list log-update command. Be careful not to configure the setting to low or you could possibly crash your router.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipras_r/1rfip1.htm#1072447

Re: syslog - acl question

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is what I'm looking for though. Since I'm not setting a rate-limit on my ACL's one could only assume that I'm getting this syslog message due to the fact that no log buffers were available. Is this referring to the log buffer size? (buffer full) I have two other border routers (besides the one getting this syslog message) and neither one is getting this message and the syslog buffers are all set the same. Any other thoughts ?? I hope I'm not chasing a ghost here......

-js

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content