Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

syslog on a catalyst

Quick question please - i have setup syslog on a 5500 to a syslog server on a Solaris machine. The config is

set logging server enable

set logging server 137.71.38.30

set logging server facility LOCAL7

set logging server severity 6

set logging timestamp enable

Does this ensure that all severity 6 and higher [6-0] will get logged to the syslog server? I had the "sys" facility at 5 (the default) and it did not log. I have changed it to 6 and now it does.

Why does it not operate when set to 5 if it is supposed to report from 6 to 0?

If you have to set facilities like sys and spantree to severity 6, do you have to set everything to severity 6 to get it reported? If so, why have different severities at all?

Thanks for any input - appreciated.

4 REPLIES

Re: syslog on a catalyst

Hi,

my understanding is (this is the way it works on Cat4000s, but it should be the same):

set logging server severity 6 really ensures that all severity 6 and higher [6-0] will get logged to the syslog server.

BUT you can tune individual facilities (CDP, spantree) further by

set logging level cdp 3 default

(e.g., default value is 4 for CDP)

In this example only CDP syslog messages with severity [3-0] will be snet to your syslog server.

You can list all facilities setting by

sh logging.

Don't forget to use the "default" option, otherwise the set logging level command applies only to your current session.

Regards,

Milan

Hi Milan,

I think i'm getting there - have a look and let me know.

What i have been doing is :-

set logging level sys 5 default

I expect to see a message in my syslog everytime i do a "set port enable/disable" command, which is what i use to test. I don't see it.

When i change it to :-

set logging level sys 6 default

Now i can see a message when i issue a set port enable/disable command.

I thought this was directly related to the severities matching up - it isn't.

Cisco treats a set port enable/disable command as an informational event (severity 6)? I am only looking for reports on level 5 events for "sys" facility.

But should it not report it anyway?

Do you understand my query?

Hi,

you are correct, Cisco treats set port enable/disable command as an informational event (severity 6).

2003 Mar 20 15:58:31 CET +01:00 %SYS-6-CFG_CHG:Global block changed by telnet/a.b.c.d/

The "6" in %SYS-6-CFG_CHG means the severity level of the event.

So if you set logging level sys 5 default port enabling/disabling is not reported to syslog.

Regards,

Milan

Thanks Milan.

That's it.

It's all up and working.

Views
Helpful
Replies