cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog on Cat 6000

anup.anand
Level 5
Level 5

When configuring a Cat 6000 (Cat OS 6.3) to send messages to a syslog server, using the command " set logging server severity <level> " will send all messages of the specfied level to the server. The level values are from 0 to 7. So if you set the level to 5, the system will send only level 5 messages.

The problem we are facing is that this command allows only one severity level to be defined and we need to have the switch send all messages (from severity 0-7) to the syslog server. Is there anyway we can achieve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Anup

4 Replies 4

alalli2002
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day Mate,

The syslog should send all messages up to that level.

If you chose level 5, you should be logging messages with severity level 0 - 5.

regards

amanda

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Anup,

if you " set logging server severity 5 " system sends all messages with levels 0 - 5 to the syslog server.

If you want to send all messages just " set logging server severity 7 ". But it would be a huge number of messages passing your network.

There is also another command which tunes the syslog messages sending:

set logging level .....

This command is tuning which level messages will be sent per "facility" (CDP, VTP, spantree, e.g.)

If you use "sh logging" command it will display this "per facility" levels.

If you "set logging server severity 7 " and "set logging level spantree 4 default" your switch will send only spantree messages with level 0 - 4 to the syslog server.

So there is a fine tuning possible regarding syslog messages.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_3/confg_gd/logging.htm

for details.

Regards,

Milan

Thanks for your response. That is what I thought it would do, but somehow the system is sending only messages at the level that is configured.

Also one strange thing is that when we set the level to 5, it sends messages of level 4 and 5 to the server, but nothing below that, ie 0-3.

Any clue ?? We are running Cat 6509, Cat OS 6.3(7)

Hi, I'm running CatOS 7.1(2) on my 6006 and 7.2(1) on my 4000s.

It works fine.

Is that 6509 the only CatOS switch in your network?

If yes, I'd try to 1) reload, 2) upgrade it.

Regards,

Milan