cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslogging telnet connections to catos switch

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

I have not been having luck syslogging telnet connections to my cat 2948. Am I missing something? Thanks.

#syslog

set logging console disable

set logging telnet disable

set logging server enable

set logging server 10.1.9.42

set logging level telnet 6 default

set logging level ethc 2 default

set logging server facility LOCAL6

set logging server severity 6

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at your other logging options as that would fall under one of those which may be set to low to logg any telnet connections . It will be one of the "set logging level" commands ,probably is too low , not sure which one is is right off hand might be the mgmt level...

Thanks Glen. As you can see I tried "set logging level telnet 6 default". Earlier I had tried "set logging level telnet 7 default". But neither gave the desired result. You think telnet connections might fall under another set logging level service? Thanks.

In your first message it says you have "set logging telnet disable" , have you tried enabling that first ? Also "set the logging level mgmt 6 default" and see what happens . Think the telnet login info actually falls under that , real intuitive huh ???

I'll give it a try. But from the document I saw on CCO - I thought "set logging telnet enable" was for permitting you to see logged messages in your telnet windows when you login to a swittch. I am just trying to get the fact that someone has logged in via telnet to go into the logging buffer and sent to the syslog server.

Try setting the logging for mgmt at 6 then I think it will be what you want... You are right about the telnet logging that is just whether or not it will send logg messages to your screen when telnetted into the switch...

My 6509's syslog upon telnet.

show log

Logging server: enabled

server facility: LOCAL7

server severity: information(6)

All facilities are set to level 6.

make sure you have the logging server set

set logging server enable

set logging server x.x.x.x

set logging server severity 6

set logging level telnet 6 default

Darren

I wound up setting all to 6

"set logging level all 6 default"

..and that seems to it logging telnet correctly now. I had the set logging level telnet 6 default earlier and that was not doing it. The logging of telnet connections is perhaps handled by another facility?

Yes as I said in my prevois note it is handled by the mgmt logging statement , by setting that to 6 it enables you to see who logged in via telnet...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: