Views
Helpful
Replies

System Crash

godlam
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

The router, 1710, is reboot in this morning. I do the 'sh ver', which getting the error.

System Return to ROM by error a SegV exception PC, 0x80af5798. Do you know what is it? Is it critical? Please advice. Thanks

Regards

Godwin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Godwin,

THe show version has a statement saying...

System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x80AF5798

More on SegV exceptions can be read here...

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/122/crashes_segv.html

This exception is due to a software error, can be caused due to a bug in IOS. Upgrading to a latest version of IOS should help in resolving the issue.

The sh stacks file was indeed very big. Decode of the stack output also indicates that the error was due to a software defect.

I would recommend you to upgrade to latest code, after checking whether you have enough amount of ram/flash.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Godwin,

SegV exception usually occur, when a software routine tries to access some areas of memory, outside the allocated memory space. Can you paste a show stacks and show version output for further troubleshooting?

Or you can use these outputs at the Output interpreter tool and see if there are any related bugs in the software.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thank you for your response. However I am no right to access the output interpreter tools.

Regards

Godwin

Ok, if you can paste the outputs of show stacks, sh version, we can decode that for u to see if there are any potential bugs.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks for your help. I have sent the e-mail with attachment to you. Please help to decode the crash dump. Thanks

Regards

Godwin

Godwin,

THe show version has a statement saying...

System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x80AF5798

More on SegV exceptions can be read here...

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/122/crashes_segv.html

This exception is due to a software error, can be caused due to a bug in IOS. Upgrading to a latest version of IOS should help in resolving the issue.

The sh stacks file was indeed very big. Decode of the stack output also indicates that the error was due to a software defect.

I would recommend you to upgrade to latest code, after checking whether you have enough amount of ram/flash.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thank you for your help. Where can I get the latest IOS? Please advice. Thanks

Regards

Godwin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: