Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Systems don't get DHCP response at boot up.

I have replaced 3com switches with a Cisco 4000 switch. This is an AVVID implementation so I have the Auxilery power supplies. This problem did not exist when the network was on the 3com switches. Windows 98 systems when booting do not get their DHCP response within the timeout period, but will get it when forced to renew. Windows 2000 and XP systems don't have the problem. Vlan 1 is where the subnet resides and the default route is set to the firewall that is also providing DHCP. Spanning tree is shut off completely. The computers are shut off every night and the lease on DHCP is 1 hour. The computers are plugged into the IP Phones. I also will input this into the voice catagory. Any ideas?

1 REPLY
Community Member

Re: Systems don't get DHCP response at boot up.

Using the 'set port host mod/port' will help resolve this issue. It turns off trunking negotiation, enables portfast, and turns off channelling negotiation. All of which can add to bootup delay for directly attached clients. You should enter the set port host command only on ports connected to a single host. Connecting hubs, concentrators, switches, and bridges to a fast-start port can cause temporary spanning tree loops.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content