Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

T1 alternate route

I have a client with an office in NY and in Boston. Each office has a Cisco router connected to a T1 to the Internet and a T1 connecting each office. How can I configure the router, so if the NY T1 goes down all traffic is routed to the Boston office and vice versa.

7 REPLIES

Re: T1 alternate route

Key question is what routing protocol are you using?

eigrp is the only routing protocol currently in use.

Gold

I'm a bit confused--is this a triangle, or just the two offices? Are you trying to get the traffic between the two offices to cross the t1 while the t1 is up, and then cross the internet when it's not? Or is there some other link between these offices?

Russ

Russ,

It is actually a U shape instead of triangle. The NY office will use their T1 to access the internet; employees surfing and checking personal emails. The boston office will use their T1 to access the internet; employees surfing and checking personal emails. But in the case that the NY T1 goes down, then the NY traffic needs to go to boston inorder to get to the Internet, and vice versa.

Does this make sense?

Russ,

I just recieved an email from one engineer stating; I should use BGP. Another stated; to use eigrp and change the administrative distance form 110 to 80.

Do you have any opinion on this??

Silver

Look into establishing a GRE Tunnel, or IPSec VPN between the sites over the internet, to be used as a fallback in the event of the private T1 failing.

Regards,

Brad

Brad,

Actually, that is the second project for this company. They also want an IPsec VPN tunnell utilizing a Watchguard Firebox 4500.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content