cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Point to Point PPP or HDLC? Source Line clock Line or Internal

dagaued
Level 1
Level 1

I ahve a simple question can someone tell me what is better to use in a T1 Point-to-Point connection. PPP or HDLC? What is the difference between the 2.

And What about the source clock should 1 be:

Source clock line and the other

Source clock Internal or what is recommended?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hdlc will be proprietary so if you are connecting 2 boxes that are not from rhe same vendor then PPP , a standard, If the boxes are 2 Cisco boxes I would recommend HDLC , as far as the clocking goes this is going to be determined by your service provides , check with them to find out if they are providing clock, if they are then the csu's on each end must be set to line, if not then one csu must be set to internal and the other set to line.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

HDLC. Less overhead. PPP is used more in dial solutions.

I'm assuming that a telco is providing the t-1. If so use clock source line. Its a much more accurate timesource.

Thank A lot I will find out what happens tommorrow.

If you count the bytes, you'll find that PPP and

HDLC has exactly the same overhead.

you have to enter encap ppp, hdlc is the default...

therefore...less overhead :)

hdlc will be proprietary so if you are connecting 2 boxes that are not from rhe same vendor then PPP , a standard, If the boxes are 2 Cisco boxes I would recommend HDLC , as far as the clocking goes this is going to be determined by your service provides , check with them to find out if they are providing clock, if they are then the csu's on each end must be set to line, if not then one csu must be set to internal and the other set to line.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: