Views
Helpful
Replies

Talk between 2 VTP domain

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How to make 2 different VTP domain talk to each other .Both domain are in same building .

Thanks

CD

22 Replies 22

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi CD,

2 different VTP domain will never talk to each other.

Yes if the switches in 2 different buildings are with same VTP domain name and password then if you have a trunk between the 2 switches they will talk to each other.

But 2 swithches with 2 different domain name will never talk to each other.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi CD,

Are the vlans same on both the domains. Lets us say if you have 2 doamins VTPA and VTPB.

If you want to join both of them, you change the domain name to VTPA on the server in VTPB domain and then uplink via trunk to the switch in VTPA domain. make sure that its revision number is less than or equal to the server in VTPA. Then change the domain name on all the client switches in VTPB to the one in VTPA.

You can keep the 2 VTP servers in your n/w for redundency if in case one goes out the vlan info should be kept same across the VTP domain.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi ,

Actualy i was discussing this thing with my friend and this question arises.Lets say VLANS are different on both the domain and i want to keep those domain name , then there is no way that 2 domain can talk to each other ?

regards

CD

CD,

If you have 2 diff domain names, they cannot talk to each other.

If you have diff vlans and you want to merge the domains then, the moment you change the domain name on the switches, it will join the domain that one you want.

HTH, Pls rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi CD,

No there is no way 2 different domains can talk to each other.

HTH

Ankur

If I have two VTP domains in two diff buildings, and a adding a L3 device in between, will the devices talk to each other?

SS

Hi Satya,

It is 2 different VTP domain and not 2 different subnets so layer 3 device in between does not matter. If you have 2 different VTP domains switch will still talk to each other , data will still pass and will have no affect only vlan info will not synch.

VTP request are always multicast and remain on layer 2.

You have to have a same VTP domain if you want VLAN info to synch.

HTH, if yes please rate the post,

Ankur

Hi ,

I would like to know how to connect these 2 different VTP domains so that users on VTP_Domain_A can talk to users of VTP_Domain_B ? by trunking ?

regards

Neo

To my knowledge the two devices may be able to communicate, but NO VLAN information will be sync'd with the two separate VLANs.

You must join one switch or the other to the same VTP Domain name for the VLAN info to be sync'd.

Hi ,

I would like to know how to connect these 2 different VTP domains so that users on VTP_Domain_A can talk to users of VTP_Domain_B ? by trunking ?

regards

Neo

hi,

Please help....

regards

Neo

Neo,

You will be able to talk between the Vlans in diff VTP doamin but the VLAN info will not get syncd. You need a layer 3 device to do the routing. If you have a layer 3 switch then you can connect all of the switches via trunk and have it do your intervlan routing. You can also use a router and do a router on stick config.

-amit singh

Hi Amit ,

thanks for the info.I am aware that VLAN info will not synch between two diff VTP domains what i would like to know is ,say User A is there in VLAN_13 in VTP_Domain_A and user B in VLAN_13 in VTP_Domain_B .If we enable Trunk between two switches how do switch will know that particular User datais for UserB is in other domain ? If u have any link on this , please provide me that .

regards

Neo

Neo,

When you are trunking 2 switches, you are just extending your Vlans on the network.On Layer2 switch User A in VTP_Domain_A and user B in VLAN_13 are the part of the same Vlan. For example When user a wants to ping the user B first it will send an arp request.. that arp broadcast will travel via trunk to another switch and when the userB sends the arp reply that MAC will be leraned on the trunk port and will be a part of Vlan 13. This is how the communication will occur.

If the users are in diff vlan, that's where the L3 funcationality comes into the picture.

Now if we talk about VTP, as the domain names are diff, their Vlan databases will not get syncd.

-amit singh