cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP port 676 - VPPS Via

patstewart
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any idea what "VPPS Via" might be? Look up TCP port 676 in any reference book or search engine and they will all say that it is reserved for something called VPPS Via. A search on VPPS yields nothing.

3 Replies 3

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Have you tried e-mailing Ulysses G. Smith Jr. <ugsmith@cesi.com> and asking him? He's the one associated with VPPS Via, whatever it is. I reached the same dead-end too, when I tried all of my favorite search engines. It's a mystery.

Maybe he's just someone who grabbed some port numbers in the early days of the Internet, when they were available for the asking.

Let us know what you find out. But if "THEY" come to your door, knock it down, and take you away in handcuffs with a bag over your head, remember, you don't know me. (Just kidding.)

Interesting question. No search engine is giving an answer thats of use. Let us know whats the out come. Looks like U.G Smith is your only resource of help.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yeah I was saving that until the last resort. Well, it looks like I've reached it. Stay tuned.