Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bronze

TCP Session -- Path selection

Hi,

After establishment of TCP session, whether the following data packets traverse same routing path ( to & fro) which path used for establishment of session?

I am having two providers A & B. Assume TCP session is established through A with a remote server and immediately the link from A is down, then reestablishment of session should take place through B or else the following data packets can come through B?

Thanks in advance...

Regards...

--Ashok.

With best regards... Ashok ----------- Pls kindly rate if helpful or answered your question.
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: TCP Session -- Path selection

TCP session should not be reset.

TCP data should flow through B with no problem.

Unless there is 2 NAT devices (1 for ISP A and 1 for ISP B). Therefore the NAT session will need to be re-established forcing the TCP session to be reset.

Bronze

Thanks GDUFOUR,

So you meant to say that there is nothing like same path should be used for the following data packets after establishing the session. I said it corrrect, correct me if wrong?

Thx...

Ashok.

With best regards... Ashok ----------- Pls kindly rate if helpful or answered your question.
Community Member

can you explain this better ? The TCP session is Layer4 and will travel whatever path Layer 3 (IP) can find that works. If the A route goes down as long as the routers can reconverge and find the B route the session will continue to work (minus a short delay for the routing protocol reconvergence).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content