cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Teamed networks cards in a server causing duplicate MAC address problems

5jgraham
Level 1
Level 1

My 6509 has errdetection disabled. No port security is configured. I cannot ping the servers in question. I have tried putting in a static cam entry which has worked on an intermittent basis (it stops when the cards fail over). Anyone experienced anything like this ? Any solutions ? Cheers. John.

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you configured the switch ports as an Etherchannel?

No. Will this work ?

I have now switched off spanning tree and reconfigured the cards which appears to be working.

Turning off Spanning tree is not a good idea. Yes, since the NICs are teaming NICs, the switch ports need to be configured to channel. For config guidelines, the following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/#EtherChannel

The 3com docs suggest switching off spanning tree. I have only switched it off for the server vlan. As the server vlan is located in one place and is switch to server on every port, I can't see the problem.

I am going to implement the ether channel and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

I believe they might have suggested to enable Spanning tree portfast on ports connected to server. Enable Spanning tree and enable portfast too on ports connecting to the server

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco