Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teaming on intel nic to two switches.

Can you please confirm that this is not possible.

A customer has a dell servers with two intel 100 mbs nics, they have configured teaming on the nic's which basically sets up one IP and mac address to represent the two nics. They want to connect to both switches for resilience and aggregation. The switches are connected to each other which with gigabit. I think that this is not possible due to the Ethernet bundle controller EBC and earl don't know about each others switch ebc and earl so

don't form a fast ethernet channel (FEC)

correctly.

switches are either 2900 xl or possibly 6500.

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Teaming on intel nic to two switches.

It seems that the right implementation would be using Etherchannel or Fastetherchannel.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/media/lan/ether/channel/tech/fetec_wp.htm

Green

Re: Teaming on intel nic to two switches.

My understanding is that you must choose between the features; i.e., you can have channel aggregation (Etherchannel) to a single switch, or diverse paths to multiple switches.

To enable all features, you'd need to "double up" the NICS, such that two are aggregated to one switch, and another two are aggregated to another switch ....one pair (going to one of the two switches) would be inactive/standby until the primary pair failed.

FWIW

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content