Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Telnet Connection problem

i have a new 2950 switch, when i connect it through trunk port , and try to telnet it or ping it give me no response put port i up, "show cdp neighbour detail" command is also mentioned the ip of that switch and connectivity..

16 REPLIES

Re: Telnet Connection problem

Hi Mansoor,

If you are not able to ping it I am sure it is a route issue.

Can you confirm what is the ip address of the switch and on which vlan you have assigned an ip address?

Also can you confirm if the vlan on which you have asigned an ip address is up and up. Check it with "sh int vlan " command.

Now if the vlan interface is up and up please confirm the vlan assigned to the port from where you are trying to ping or telnet? If the port from where you are trying to ping is in different vlan than the vlan on which you have assigned an ip address on switch have you configured intervlan routing for the same and if the vlans are same does the vlan from where you are trying to ping is allowed on te trunk port.

Make sure if your basic routing and route is fine it should respond to your ping request.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Switch Ports trunk, and the port with which i connect is on vlan 1.

"Show interface vlan 1" command display the following result, this command is given through console port

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is down

Hi Mansoor,

You interface VLAN is showing line protocols down which means you will not be able to ping or telnet to the switch.

Now we have to find out WHY vlan 1 is showing line protocol down?

Can you confirm do you have any machine connected to this switch on vlan 1?

Or can you confirm the trunk status and paste the output of "sh int switchport" and "sh vlan" from this switch.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi

Do check whether you have enabled the vlan in the vlan database also recheck whether you have added the vlan on the trunk port which is up and connected.

regds

Every thing is OK, VLAN 1 is enabled, protocol is also enabled, i have configured almost 50 switch, but i face this problem first, do u feel that its a Firmware problem

Hi Mansoor,

It will not be a Firmware issue for sure. Line protocol can be down if you do not have any physical interface connected to any machnies in vlan 1 on that switch OR if you have a trunk which is not carrying VLAN 1.

So in short any physical interface configured for vlan 1 connected to any machine or trunk carrying vlan 1 will bring line protocol up.

Just paste the output of "sh vlan" and "sh int switchport" & "sh run" so that we can double check.

Regards,

Ankur

I have paste the all commands output, in the file,

Hi Mansoor,

As you updated everything looks to be fine. Can you try shut and no shut under interface vlan 1 and see if it comes up.

Regards,

Ankur

I have done it, but i am still facing a problem. CDP display the presence of switch IP. VLAN in up up, when i see through consol port. but i am not able to ping and telnet.

HI Mansoor,

Can you confirm please how did the line protocol came up, did you tried shut and no shut as I mentioned in my previous post or you did something else.

Also can you connect any machine directly into vlan 1 on the switch and assign it a same subnet ip address as you have assigned it to vlan 1 on switch and try to ping and update the response.

Regards,

Ankur

Hello,

I connect a machine with this switch, with the same VLAN 1 , IP and subnet, and brows a side, yahoo, google successfully. and ping too.

But i still face problem in Switch Ping and Telnet.

Thank You.

Hi Mansoor,

If you interface vlan is up and line protocl also up and still you are not able to ping from a machine directly connected to this switch on same vlan you may be hitting a bug.

Can you please confirm which IOS version you have on your siwtch so that it will confirm if that bug is fixed in that release or not. I will paste the bug id once I get IOS version confirmation from you to make sure if that bug is fixed in the release which you have on your switch.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi

Just a guess did u check weather u have enabled

VTY lines in the switch.

Hope u might have done it already.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

But then also it should ping. I somehow doubt it is a BUG where switch looses IP management. Just waiting for original poster to confirm the IOS version he is having on his switch

Regards,

Ankur

Thank You, for quick responce,

My IOS Version and VTY setting.

IOS Version is : c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

password teem

login

line vty 5 15

password teem

login

!

Thank You Again.

Hi Mansoor,

The release which you are having is not affected from the bug which I am talking about but still is it possible for you to reload the box once.

Regards,

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies