Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet in menu system on specific vty

lauren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to create a menu system to run various basic admin commands on an AS5300. I need to do this without altering the normal telnet in vty access though. Ive got two plans to do this.

1) use the highest number vty to run a menu system, allowing people to telnet into that specifically. Now people should be able to telnet in by adding the line number to 2000 as far as i can see, but as of yet Ive had no success with it. I can reverse telnet to the aux port but not the vtys. Does anyone have any ideas?

The second problem with that is that if the AS5300 is upgraded with more lines, the line numbers of the vtys will change, and therefore so will the ip port numbers which wouldn't be good. Is there a way of running a vty on a specific IP port?

2) My other idea was to use the protocol translation feature to spawn off a vty. Im thinking either

translate tcp <myrouter> port <myspecificport> autocommand menu <mymenu>

that sucks as theres no password, so maybe

translate tcp <myrouter> port <myspecificport> virtual-template <mytemplate>

and create a vty template in the same fashion as above. I dont know if either of these will work yet though, and lets face it - using protocol translation to bring up a menu would be a monumentally hideous hack if it did work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

At the moment Im pursuing idea 1. I have a 2503 that im trying things out on, vty 4 is line 6 and is configured as

line vty 4

login

password mypassword

autocommand menu mymenu

When I try

telnet myrouter 2006

I get no connection, yet I can do

telnet myrouter 2001

to connect to the aux port.

Help!

Lauren

2 Replies 2

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

You can't reverse telnet to virtual VTY ports.

Your best and easiest approach is to define an autocommand with a generic ADMIN username; something like:

username ADMIN autocommand MENU

username ADMIN password cisco

ADMIN users which connect to the cisco will automatically get the menu; other users (who have password priviledges) that connect to the cisco will get the regular prompt. You could also do this via AAA, if you are using an external AAA server.

TO add to above, VTY line assignment is decided by the router, we cannot decide which line number is assigned.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus