Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet login dies before i can put in a password

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I have a couple of switches, 3524s, giving me login problems.

When i try to login as soon as i start to type a password i lose connectivity to the host. I've tried cutting & pasting in the password with an exec timeout of 10 mins for the vty 0 4 but i still lose connectivity.

i've double checked the commands on another 3524 to make sure they are ok.

anyone amy ideas?

ps: the swtich has a line vty 0 5 line in the running config - any ideas why this is?

thanks

in anticipation

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

Are you using any kind of authentication or AAA ?

I've recently taken over the network so i'm not aware of any such measures. I presume there is none as i have several dozen other switches without this kind of problem

thanks for the reply

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

you can either configure the switch for AAA authentication

(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc6/scg/swsyst.htm#xtocid96)

and use the command

line vty 0 4

login authentication default

(which is default - you won't see it in the config)

or use the local authentication without AAA

(Described in http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc6/scg/swadmin.htm#xtocid5 but I don't agree with the manual, my opinion is that the password doesn't have to be the enable password, it can be a different one used just for telnet access).

Regards,

Milan

jawad1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

line vty 0 5 means that you are configuring the first six telnet lines, i.e line 0,1,2,3,4,5.

Make sure that you have the "login" command under the line sub-command, this will enable authentication to the password configured directly on the line with the "password xxxxx" command. Now if you did not assign a password, the telnet session will automatically close, another situation might be when you assign a password, but did not issue a "login" command, in this case, I "think" the user will be granted access without any interruption.

You should have the following:

line vty 0 5

login

password "Telnet password"

Hope I helped

is there any way you can console in and paste in the config ? Also the error message you get from your telnet session