cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet using router's name

jyuffa
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to telnet using a router's name, but not an ip address if you can't ping an interface of the link you are going to telnet through?

JY

4 Replies 4

Hello,

if there is no other, redundant link to the router, and if the reason for not being able to ping the interface is that there is no connectivity on layer 2, you cannot TELNET using a router´s name either. If there is a redundant link and if the router´s name is translated to the IP address of that link, TELNET will work. In the case of redundant links it is best to link the router´s name with the IP address of a loopback interface, because then you will always be able to TELNET if either one of the links is available.

HTH,

Georg

Hi Georg,

No redundant links to the router. I don't know about interfaces status on that router because coudn't access it. So the answer to my main question is 'NO', right?

Joseph

Joseph,

right, I am afraid so, the answer is no...

Regards,

Georg

berliner
Level 1
Level 1

The best way to solve your issue is to have a record in your DNS requesting for a loopback address. In the case that one interface of this router is not available, it will send you to any interface related to this router. This is only valid if this router is not a stub router.

Here is an example of configuration on the router:

interface loopback1

ip address 192.168.35.1 255.255.255.255

It means that you will find an "A" record in your DNS.

Then, you will be able to telnet to this router with the router's name.

Hope this help.