cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing Dynamic routing on Back to Back

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

Im currently using static routing. We are planning to utilize redundant and load balancing to some of our remote sites and for this we will have to change our routing from static to dynamic.

Im planning to use EIGRP or IGRP for this. I need to make a lab test environment so that I can familiarise myself before we go ahead and use dynamic routing.

I need help in setting out a back-to-back connection for three routers using EIGRP or IGRP on a 2MB lease line.

Can someone help.

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

what routers do you have for testing on the lab??

you ll need a back to back cable. the terminating ends of the cable depends on what router, wic you are using.

For example. if you are using 3 2600s, with a wic-2t, with smart serial connector (small thin connector), then you need a back to back cable with smart serial connectors on either ends (one end DTE and other end DCE).

if you plan to use a wic-1t with db60 connector, then you need a back to back cable with db60 connector on either ends (one end DTE and other end DCE)

You can get some of these cables off ebay.com or www.anthonypanda.com. A 3ft cable might cost you 18 bucks +s/h.

once the cables are connected, the router's with the DCE end of the cables should be configured with clocks.

For this you can use commands,

Router#config t

Router(Config)#int s0

Router(config-if)#clock rate 56000.

You can use default encapsulation of HDLC on these interfaces. To turn on eigrp.

More on EIGRP can be found here.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipr_c/ipcprt2/1cfeigrp.htm

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your promt reply. I got 3 1751 routers and will use WIC 1T with DB60 connecters. How about the redundant link ? Will the DYNAMIC routing handle it ?

Yes it would.

Failover from primary to seconday link is automatic, when you run a routing protocol.

EIGRP also supports unequal cost load balancing. (using variance command) I

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: