Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP file copy dropped after 33553920 bytes on 6509

yangtony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have complaints about transfering files on the filers (netapps) being slow. We began to test TFTP file transfer between two machines on the same blade in the same 6509 switch. The TFTP transfer would stop at 33553920 bytes on the TFTP server. The error is "Time out Error...".

Please assist.

6509 has the following:

ws-x6k-sup2-2ge

software version is 6.3(5)

128MB on the sup.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

I beleive that your session timed out Change your exec-timeout to 0 0

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

The figure you quote is suspicious! 33553920 bytes is exactly 32Mb less a single 512-byte tftp/udp packet. In other words, your transfers proceed happily until you reach 32Mb and then stop.

If this is consistent and repeatable, I would be looking very carefully at your tftp server. My suspicion is that it chokes on a 32Mb transfer. Try increasing the tftp packet size, for example, or using a different protocol such as ftp. Or even change your testing methodology - look at the switch forwarding rates using ttcp, for example.

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In my humble opinion, I would check the TFTP server. If you want to know what happens exactly, you should sniff what is being sent and received by both machines and check what is happening when the problem occurs. My assumption is that the TFTP server stops transmitting and the session on the client times out.

abodnar
Level 1
Level 1

I know there are some tftp servers that won't transfer over 32megs. Check your tftp server.

Thanks,

Yes, the problem I posted was due to tftp (solarwinds) server problem. Never use that again...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: