Views
Helpful
Replies

The "smallest" WAN

brucedavis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys and gals,

I'm trying to figure out how I can connect my 2514 serial port to an external 56K modem. I've found a few cables, which convert DB60/DB25. If I'm not mistaken, the DB25 will be the DCE and the DB60 will be the DTE. Herein lies the question, can I use a DB25/DB9 configuration to get the RS232 small enough for a USR 56K modem and it work? Disregarding the IOS commands, I can figure those out, but will the hardware work, providing I setup the config right? Can someone please suggest a modem, maybe that has a DB25 or suggest the right cable in order to make the adaption? I do already have a DCE/DTE cable if there is a plug-on adapter that would do it.

Here are the cables that I have found closest to what I need, I think...

CAB-232FC= part#72-0794-01 - FEM DCE RS-232 CAB 10 FT

or

EIA-530 serial cable

I'm not in a position right now, to just give it a try, without some solid feedback that it will work. Otherwise I would just order stuff to try anything.

Thanks a lot,

Bruce Davis, CCNA since 2003

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Hello Bruce,

There is a particular cable available from cisco, which has a db-60 and one end, and the db25 (rs232) at the other end. This should work.

I guess you will have to use a sync/async serial port to use the modem.

On the sync/async interface, by default is sync in nature. To make it async interface, use, "physical-layer async" command in interface mode.

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks Shanky,

I think this is the right cable;

CAB-232FC= part#72-0794-01 - FEM DCE RS-232 CAB 10 FT

meaning DCE on the rs-232 side. I'll let you know how it works out.

I don't believe this will work for you. I would connect the modem to the router AUX port instead. You can connect the modem with a console cable and a db25 converter for modem connections (sorry I don't have part #'s for you). The cable you describe is for connecting the serial interface to a CSU/DSU with the RS-232 interface (Larse & Paradyne CSU's use this connection).

I may be wrong but I have never heard of this being done successfully.

JK

jredwine2857
Level 1
Level 1

This is the correct part number for using a smart serial with an ext. modem: 72-0793-01

Jason Redwine, CCNA, MCSE, CCA

That's really funny this got brought up again, because after I bought the previous cable I mentioned, 72-0794-01, which I chose it by the decription, which stated "RS232 DCE" and I thought it meant the RS232 side WAS the DCE. I was wrong. My show command stated a DCE cable connection so I went back and ordered the other one, 72-0793-01. It should arrive by Friday so I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Hey guys and gals,

I hooked up my new cable and the modem has recognized the connection by turning on more lights though I didn't have a lot of time this weekend to play with it. I decided to configure it using "Easy IP" config for my serial interface. I'll be in touch I'm sure. I have sent a tech inquiry to Creative Modem Blaster support for the modem AT command settings which are available.

http://www.americas.creative.com/support/specs/hardware.asp?Centric=79⊂=41&SearchSite=

I'm waiting for them, before I continue. Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: