Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Throughput limiting GBIC Port on 6500 CatOS

I have 2 6500's connected via 4GB Etherchannel as well as 2x Ethernet over SONET(EoS) ports that each have 155Mbps per channel. The EoS is my backup path. How can I configure the GBIC ports on each 6500 to stay below the 155Mbps of the SONET and not overload the SONET ring channels in the event my primary fiber connection fails? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggetions.

2 REPLIES

Re: Throughput limiting GBIC Port on 6500 CatOS

I'm thinking one of two things...

are the10/100/1000 ports? If so you could force them both to 100

or

refer to this article

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

swap your 6500's over to CISCO IOS and make the ports connecting through SONET routed ports, and use the bandwidth command to limit the throughput

Re: Throughput limiting GBIC Port on 6500 CatOS

Hi

If i read ur post correctly you have got a 4GB primary connectivity backed up with 300Mbps secondary link.

In general if u primary and secondary link the secondary links is being derived out to have some kinda connectivity when the primary goes down in case if the primary is down u need to set that rite to avoid overloading the secondary link which basically takes care of the connectivity during that failure time.

I dont think theres some mechanism to inform the primary to avoid overloading the secondary link during the failures.

It all depends upon the traffic flow in general in ur your network during that time..

Also i would like to know the mechansim which u use to have the autofallback setup over here between the primary and the secondary..

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content