Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput on Wan Links

We have an outside vendor touting an appliance that will increase throughput on WAN links substantially. They are stating they can get a link to run 100% but without their product, the links won't run nearly that. Can anyone give me any information on if this is possible, and if so, how it is done?

Thanks,

Dave

6 REPLIES

Re: Throughput on Wan Links

They may be talking about some kind of hardware compression device. But supposing that they're talking about a compressor anyway the statement "you can't get %100 throughput without this box" is wrong. For example let's assume that it's an E1 link (2.048 Mps). Your routers connected to both sides of this link may drive the link to full throughput, in this case your effective throughput is 2.048 Mbps. With a compressor 2.048 Mbps router interface throughput may mean a higher effective throughput than 2.048 Mbps. But anyway I'm making assumptions only and compression rate is completely dependent on nature of the data (binary, text etc.).

Maybe it's possible to talk more clear if we know name/model of this device.

Regards.

The vendors documentation said nothing about this being for satellite links but that is what the appliance is for. I did not know that at the time I posted the note. Orbital Data is the vendor. We currently don't use satellite links and I was assuming they were talking about non-satellite links via telco's. Thanks a bunch for responding.

Dave

Is their appliance a bigger pipe? :) like 2x bigger? Otherwise its some type of compression and its just not going to be that good for all applications/cases.

I have seen these devices before. Many of them work by not only compression but by spoofing IP and reducing some of the overhead in the IP protocol. They seem to be common for slow satelite and microwave links where even a 256k link seems excruciatingly slow. We are testing a couple units bt Expand. They make some bold claims, we'll see.

The vendors documentation did not state anything about there solution being for satellite communications but that is what it is for, as I found out later. Orbital Data is the vendor. We may test this down the road but we currently do not use satellite communications.

Thanks for the information

As it turned out, their appliance was for satellite links. Their documentation does not state this but we found out differently later. I was thinking they were talking about t-1 are smaller point-to-point or frame-relay links. So yes, they were talking bigger pipe. Thanks for responding.

Dave

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content