cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

time,ntp for vpn or pix

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Can I use a pix or a vpn 3000 series to act a an ntp server for my network? I would like to use the external interface on the 3030 to access the internet time server and then pass it along to my other network devices. If I cannot use the vpn then I have a pix 515 behind the vpn, can that act as a ntp server to the other equipment?

2 Replies 2

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

As far as I know, VPNs and firewalls can only synchronise with the NTP server. Not sure, how you could configure VPN or pix as NTP Server.

Here is a doc on the best practices which might throw more insigth on this.

Network Time Protocol: Best Practices White Paper

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper09186a0080117070.shtml

Not applicable

Thanks that information helped. But I am trying to use a 1721 router running 13.3 as a ntp server and it has no ntp commands. Is ntp not supported anymore? I need to time my routers (old and new), Pixs (506e, 515) and all my vpn 3005, 3030's so I can use certificates. I am having a really hard time doing this. It seems so simple, yet nothing is working. Any more links to some setups that might help. Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: