Views
Helpful
Replies

To choose a router/firewall or a firewall with DMZ

otnj2ee
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following questions regarding to (Cisco's) router and firewall:

1) There are two kind of firewall:the standalone firewall (hardware) and the firewall embedded in a router (software based). Is the cml (command line coding system) same for both kind of firewalls? For example, can both use these statements?:

static (dmz,outside)tcp interface 80 WWW-DMZ-IP 80 netmask 255.255.255.255)?

2)If it is YES to Que #1, can I say that

the way I learnt to code a firewall embedded in a router can also be used to code a standalone (hardware) firewall, so I do not need a new training to start with, correct?

3) Could you please recommend entry level (lower end) router(s) that comes with a firewall and also support DMZ?

4) Could you please recommend entry level (lower end) standalone firewall (hardware) that supports DMZ?

Many thanks.

1 Reply 1

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

The IOS Firewall Feature set differs from the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall. It's not hard to configure, the commands are slightly different comparing to IOS.

If you are conformtable with how a firewall works, and you take your time to read the configuration guide it's not that hard to configure.

Check out the Integrated Services Routes 1800,2800 and 3800 series. With the right IOS you should be OK.

If you need a higer port density (for DMZ purposes) you will be better of with PIX firewall 500 series for instance.