cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

to configure the Main router interace or leave it unconfigured.

hector.rojas
Level 1
Level 1

My coworkers and I were having a heated discussion reguarding the first physical interface (or the main interface)on a router when configuring router on a stick. The question I have is as follow:

what is the best practice to follow when configuring router on the stick.?

do you define the main physical interface or leave it unconfigured ?

or do you begin configuration from the first subinterface?

I like your opinion.

Thanks

hector

5 Replies 5

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

If you're configuring DOT1Q trunking, you'll need to configure the main for the native VLAN. If you're using ISL, you only need to NO SHUT on the main.

The order shouldn't matter either way.

Mick.

Does a design guide exist that I can share with my co-workers.

I read your document, Thanks for the information. One more question. Can I assume that it is not common practice by network engineers to not configure the first main interface on a router. Your document is clear, the decision is made depending on software version and encapsulation conciderations. is this right?

Bradley Littlejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to config sub int

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml

Do not send it a lot of traffic. Remember the bottleneck in the network will be the FE interface on the router. It is only a 100meg. and it has to provide service to 24 100 meg ports (2621 with a 2924xl)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: