Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

To setup a Lan as a begginner

I am a Middleware programmer.I have a reasonable understanding of NW concepts.But I do not have practical experience of setting up one.As a part of my curricular, I have aproject which necessitates to do me that.Can anybody help me as to how I should begin ?Are there any web sites with free tutorials on this ? Please help it is very urgent.

7 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: To setup a Lan as a begginner

It depends on what you want to do. There are many components to a LAN...switches, VLANs, routers, etc. What are your goals for the LAN? What equipment do you have?

Basically to start with I have 35 hosts in a floor building of which one host is a Database server and the other is a mail server.All the incoming and outgoing mails of the office floor employees are handled by the Mail Server and day to day office transcations are managed by the Database server.First how should they form a network ? Second what are the necessary hardware products required and their specification and their cost ?

Bronze

If you only have 35 hosts on the network, a single 48 port switch should do. I don't know if there is Internet connectivity to consider and things like that, but if you just want 35 hosts on one network to be able to communicate with each other and to a DB and mail server...just get a 48 port Cisco Catalyst (like the 3550 or the 2950) and assign all the hosts to be on the same IP subnet. Something like 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

A 48 port 2950 switch is about $4500

A 48 port 3550 switch is about $5000

There are cheaper switches out there (3com, HP, etc.)

-HTH

Thanks a lot for your valuable reply.What if I can connect 20 hosts each to 24 port hub.One hub connected to DB Server and the other hub connected to E-mail Server.The two hubs can be be mutually connected.

Now the next step is that we have a 10 such clusters of 35 hosts in separate buildings which have to be connected . So I plan to connect them with a bridge using FDDI.Pls suggest.

Bronze

It all depends on how much you have in your budget, what you've suggested isn't that bad of a plan-you'll have 10 isolated collision domains; however, with 350 hosts on the same flat broadcast domain, you could run into performance issues. That's a lot of hosts on one flat segment especially with no layer-2 switches isolating the collisions domains per port in each cluster. Also, I'm not sure if each cluster will have an email server and an db server or is there just one email server and one db server?

I would look to see what Layer3 functions your FDDI bridge offers (if any)...

There is one DB server and email server included among each of 35 hosts cluster.We have 10 such clusters so 10 db server and 10 email server.

This layer 3 bridge would help me connect these clusters through fibre optic network or should I use a router ?

Actually there is more to this network....

Anonymous
N/A

you can visit wown1.com for getting a proper idea about basic networking

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content