Views
Helpful
Replies

Token ring setup for CCxx lab

TSpear
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Group,

I've seen a few messages regarding token ring setup for certification lab.

Since the lab setup wants (2) Token ring nwtworks, rather than using a crossover cable from router to router -- would a DB9 plug with trans to recv work in order to have the interface come up? I'm trying to avoid further search and/or purchase of the MAUs and cables. Also, I assume that on a token ring cabe with RJ-45, the DB9 to RJ-45 adapter is made in order to attach to the DB9 on the router(s)

Thanks in advance

Todd Spear

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bobn
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, Todd. Token-ring cannot be cabled back-to-back to the satisfaction of the interfaces. You will need a MAU. On the bright side, there are 2-port MAUs on the market that should not set you back terribly.

There are also DB9-to-RJ45 adapters available. Some router modules have both hookups, for instance the NM-1E1R2W and NM-1FE-1R2W for the 3600 family.

All the best,

bobn

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bobn
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, Todd. Token-ring cannot be cabled back-to-back to the satisfaction of the interfaces. You will need a MAU. On the bright side, there are 2-port MAUs on the market that should not set you back terribly.

There are also DB9-to-RJ45 adapters available. Some router modules have both hookups, for instance the NM-1E1R2W and NM-1FE-1R2W for the 3600 family.

All the best,

bobn

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

double check. last i heard, token ring was out of the lab

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: