Views
Helpful
Replies

Tolopogy View (Red dotted line)

tshzee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support

I have been running CW2k for 2 mths, there haven't been any red dotted lines in my topology view until recently. This not only happen to 1 link, it happens to 7 links. It can't be hardware fault nor line fault as I have no connection problem (I can ping to any of the sites). I have read most of the resources but none seems to help. Can you pls advice me how should I proceed to troubleshoot? Thanks.

Rgds

Zee

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

There is a subtle difference between a solid red line and a dotted red line. A

solid red line would mean the device is shown in the CDP cache of the neighbour but there is no layer 3 reachability to it. sh port would show the port as "connected", but some misconfiguration must have caused problem in IP

reachability.

A dotted red line is drawn when there is no entry for the connected port in the

neighbour's cdp cache. This might be because the port was disabled or the

physical connectivity was changed. The neighbour understands that since layer 2 connectivity is not there which earlier existed (no cdp entry now), the device is out of the network and draws a dotted red line.

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that I have 2 units of 2611 router connecting to each other through a serial interface (2MB leased line). This serial link appear to be a red dotted line, while the ethernet link is a solid black line.

First, I checked the Seiral link attribute.

The link appear it appears to have Type "Serial 2M", Speed are "2M"

Then, I checked the port attribute.

The Serial Link speed is "2M", mode is "full-duplex".

The Ethernet is showing Speed "10M", Speed is "unknown-duplex"

I'm confused. The serial link is a dotted red line but the link and port attribute appears to be ok. I would like to confirm if this is the Ethernet's interface error? How can I proceed to troubleshoot ? (all ethernet link port are set to speed auto and duplex auto". Pls help, thanks.

Rgds

Zee

yuehct
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like it detect your backup link. It could be either your backup link is activated before or "router as a seed device"

Did you put router in the seed device list ?

You should only put switches in the list.

Reconfigure the seed list... delete all devices from topology and do a rediscovery.

There is no backup link on the router. 2MB leased line is for serial, ethernet is connected to another switch. I only have a seed device, that is the IP address of the core-switch. I tested out by deleting 2 routers in the topology view, reconfigure the seed list then rediscover the devices. Now it discover only 1 router, but not the other remote router. I enabled cdp on the router, I did a clear cdp counter and table, then rediscover, the device is still not discovered. Pls help, thanks.

My solution was :

In ANI Server Admin - Discover Setting, TICK Jump Border Boundaries.

Finally my problem is solved.

Rgds

Zee