Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Total output drops: 15000

If I see on a serial interface ( to frame relay ) total output drops: and a value , why cant I match it to anything else in the rtr?

On the old rtrs we use to use I could tell that 500 packets from the t/ring or ethernet meant for the frame interface s0 were dropped. Cause it would recorded it in both counters.

Now this is my theory and I was wondering if it was correct.

Since Ethernet or t/ring is usually faster than a T1 frame relay interface I am thinking that the rtr still accepts from either of the interfaces to the frame but in some instances he has to drop packets que up to go out in order to accept them is this correct ???

Ann Marie

1 REPLY

Re: Total output drops: 15000

Yes, the speed dismatch between interfaces sometimes can lead to output failure due to interface buffer full. And sometime the cause is that the router is not fast enough to handle the incoming packet. You may check if it there is any hardware failure. If not , try to deploy QoS to let the critical traffic go first. Or you may reduce the MTU of the router so that a large data packet will not jam the interface.

Best Regards

Teru Lei

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content