Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Tracert and adding switches?

Is it possible to INCLUDE switches in a tracert, both via the PC and a switch/router? IE enabling this on a certain switch?

The reason I ask, is there are many servers, IP phones, and PC's already connected in my network, and for troubleshooting and mapping issues, I don't want to have to disconnect anyone in order to map out the network (backwards engineering can be FUN!)

Thanks in advance!!! =D

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Tracert and adding switches?

Switches are layer 2 and traceroute is a layer 3 command.

Many switches now have a layer 2 traceroute if you have all cisco switches and they support it.

The command is traceroute mac xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

I guess its easier than chasing cables but you will still need to check between each hop of the layer 3 traceroute to find all the switches.

True... So is there a way to poll individual ports for IP/MAC/equipment connected to it? That might be easier... Hahaha! Thanks again for the help!

as posted earlier you can't do traceroute as it is a layer 3 command.

instead if you want to know to which ports ur servers/PC/switch/router is connected to, you can always do it using combination of sh cdp neighbor, sh ip arp, and sh mac-address commands.

Views
Helpful
Replies