Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Traffic flow with MLPPP

I am planning on using MLPPP to bundle 4 T's. We’re looking to implement this solution to provide greater bandwidth. It was brought to my attention that since we are going to a bundled solution that all our links could be congested if someone tries to download or ftp a large file. This would actually cause latency than single T's. The thinking is that a large FTP would only congest one of the T's instead of the bundled links which would cause all the T's to be congested.

I don't think going to the bundled solution would cause this problem as it’s made to relieve congestion. In order to fix this perceived issue I have suggested IP CEF by packet and Fair Queuing QoS.

Is the congestion over the bundled solution a realistic problem? In that case would the single T's be a better solution? Also does anyone have a link that describes the flow process through a router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Traffic flow with MLPPP

Yes, itzzz a realisitic problem.

But you can avoid to certain level by Configuring Link Fragmentation and Interleaving for Multilink PPP. I hope this link will help u on this.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fqos_c/fqcprt6/qcflfi.htm

3 REPLIES
Silver

Yes, itzzz a realisitic problem.

But you can avoid to certain level by Configuring Link Fragmentation and Interleaving for Multilink PPP. I hope this link will help u on this.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fqos_c/fqcprt6/qcflfi.htm

According to this document it sounds as if fair queing on MLPPP is not supported but interleaving will give me the same result.

Hi,

I dont think so that this situation will ever happen. I have got 8 E1's bundeled together on my MPLS VPN N/W where we download huge files via FTP from our corporate office files athat could be as large as 400 MB and 600 MB's. We dont see any issues like that. Moreover we are not using CEF as MLPPP will automatically distribute the packets equally on all the links so using the CEF per-packet load-balancing will really not do much.

By default fast switching is enabled on your- interfaces whihc will do the route caching for you per-destination and MLPP will disribute the packets equally with best -effort delivery on all the interface bundeled together. Use " show ip cache " command to see the route caching.

HTH,

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies