cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shapping on 6509

pahunt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 (MSFC2) runing native (IOS) mode with 12.1(11b)E4. I am connected via 100Mbps Dot1q L2 trunking to a non Cisco service provider. I am using several VLAN's and the service provide is 'policing' each VLAN to 10Mbps inbound into his equipment which is causing havoc for my data. Each VLAN averages around 3-7 Mbps of Tx traffic over 15Mins. I tried to traffic-shape outbound on the 6509 virtual interfaces but even thought the commands are accepted, they don't seem to function. The rate-limit function works but that just moves the 'policing' problem into the 6509 without helping. If I replace the 6509 with a hardware router such as as 2600, I can shape ok. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CAT6500 does not support any traffic shaping on VLAN interfaces. The IOS CLI might accept the commands but it is not supported due to the architecture of the switch. However you can configure Ingress policing. With Sup1/2 Egress policing is not supported. The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/102.html#fourth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: