Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Traffic sharing between two routers

We have two routers connected through the LAN connection. The first one is set with routing protocol EIGRP, the other one is part of the managed service and we do not have access to it. I tried to redistribute the static routes to the managed router in the EIGRP table of the other one, but I have only the static route and I am loosing the EIGRP entry from the routing table. We would like to have two links to the remote branch for traffic sharing and load balancing by the two routers. I appreciate if you give me any help.

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Traffic sharing between two routers

You can try to change the distance of either Static Route or EIGRP. When both distance are same, the load-balancing (per-destination) is achieved. If you can per-packet load-balancing, you have to disable fast switching.

Regards

Alex Cheng, Hongkong

Community Member

Thanks for you responce.

But it is not working that way. When I add a static route in the routing table of the router , I am loosing the EIGRP entry. I have only the static route pointing to other router. I can not use both of them.

Community Member

I thought that if you specified the administrative distance of a static route to match your dynamic protocol, both routes could be added to the table. I have tried this in my lab with EIGRP, setting the static distance to 90, and the static appears always to displace the EIGRP route. So if you want two routes to a destination in the table, and one of them is static, it looks like you will have to make the other route static as well.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content