Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

transfer router configuration

Hi ,

I have two identical router and want to transfer the configuration from one router to the other, is there anyway I can do that ?

Pls advice. Thanks

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES

Re: transfer router configuration

Of course you can. Simply do a show run on the router that you want to copy from, "copy and paste" to the other router.

After copy and paste to a text file, what command should I use to transfer this text file to the other router.

Pls advice.

1#

Mark all text and copy it (ctrl+c / ctrl+ins), then in configure terminal mode (conf-t) and paste(ctrl+v / shift+ins) the file. Check for faulty messages. Save configuration.

2#

You can also copy this running config to a TFTP server. Then you download it to the other router - copy tftp:/name startup-config. Reload and you have the new config installed and saved.

Thanks for your reply, as for the TFTP server method, what file extension should I use.

First copy it from the router you configured.

#copy running-config tftp:

follow the questions.

(name the file what ever you want)

Then copy the config to new second router.

#copy tftp: startup-config

follow the questions.

(put the same name here)

For file extension there is none or it does not matter, it is still a binary file eitherway.

Views
Helpful
Replies