cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with a vlan that is being held down

byondrch
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a new vlan for my company. The vlan that I have created is shutdown even though I have issued a no shut on the vlan interface.

Any suggestions ?

5 Replies 5

bcbvale
Level 1
Level 1

What model of switch are you using? The layer-2 switches will only allow you to have one VLAN "up" at a time although you can create multiple VLAN's.

bcbv

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

there is a difference between "VLANx" and "int VLANx".

You can create many VLANs (the exact number depends on your switch platform) at the same time.

"int VLANx" is a virtual interface in VLANx used for switch management purposes. You can assign an IP address to it. But you can have only one "int VLANx" active (i.e. no shutdown, there is also "management" interface config command, see command reference guide).

So is your

a) "int VLANx" down or

b) is the whole VLANx down?

If b) is your case you need to put some port to a VLANx to make it active on some platforms (3550, e.g.).

Regards,

Milan

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on what model switch you are using , some of the newer ones like the 2950 models you need to go into the vlan database and issue the command "vlan XXX state active in order for the vlan to come active .

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Most chassis-based switches will not show a vlan as up until at least one port is configured in that vlan. There is also a VLAN active command. If you do a show VLAN, what output do you get. The switch model would really help to troubleshoot this...

-Bo

baileja
Level 1
Level 1

It will remain shutdown until you Console into the switch, shutdown int vlan 1 and no shut the new vlan. This is common in all layer two switches. Im assuming probably a 2950 or 3524. If it were a 3550, than you would be able to shut and unshut on the fly having a few VLAN's on at a time. This is common on all non-routing switches. If you are using a layer three switch and the VLAN is still down, than it is because there is nothing attached to that VLAN yet. Assign the VLAN to a port and plug something in.