Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Trouble with getting debug output

This is probably an easy one, but it's got me stumped. I've got some debugging enabled; however, it's not being saved to the log file/buffer, nor is it being sent to a logging host server. In fact, NOTHING is being written to the log. Note: also when telnetting, doing 'term mon' and 'logg mon', nothing is being written to my screen either. After a reboot, it does work for a while, then stops.

Any ideas? The 'sh log' info is displayed below. FYI...I've also got the same info set up on a different router, which is capturing the debug correctly.

router#sh log

Syslog logging: enabled (73085 messages dropped, 65 messages rate-limited, 0 flu

shes, 0 overruns)

Console logging: level debugging, 43732 messages logged

Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged

Buffer logging: level errors, 0 messages logged

Logging Exception size (8192 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Trap logging: level debugging, 59971 message lines logged

Logging to x.x.x.x, 59971 message lines logged

Log Buffer (16384 bytes):

Community Member

Re: Trouble with getting debug output

Logging to buffer (what you see when you type sh log) is set to errors, which I think is level 3. You need to use the command "logging buffered debugging" to the syslog level to debugging, level 7.

Also, don't forget that if you are logging into the router via telnet, that you have to issue the command "term mon" to see any messages generated to the syslog file.

Good luck,

Re: Trouble with getting debug output

Make sure on the interface you are debugging you have fast switching turnedd off or otherwise you will see very little . Use no ip route-cache on the interface .

CreatePlease to create content